image

image

Monday, 17 September 2012

Research Into Genre

The genre we have chosen for our film is drama. As I have been researching further into this genre, I came across a more particular sort of drama - Tragedy. I think this is the perfect way to describe our planned storyline.
I have found out that 'tragedy' is a sad thing. In theatre, a tragedy is a play that ends sadly. A tragedy is usually about a person who has many good qualities, but has one bad quality (called a "tragic flaw") that causes trouble for him, and may cause him, or his family or friends, to be in trouble.

Often in a tragedy, there is one thing that the hero does not want to happen (in our story, it is the girl suffering from Leukhemia not wanting her illness to take over her life, and the boy not wanting his alcohol problem wanting to take over his life) and tries to prevent, but no matter what he/she does, it makes this thing more and more sure to happen. They originated in Ancient Greece where they were performed at religious festivals.  Other famous writers include Shakespeare.
Some examples of Shakespearian tragedies include:
Titus Andronicus
Romeo and Juliet
Julius Caesar
Hamlet
 Troilus and Cressida (was listed as a tragedy, but is now sometimes regarded as a dark comedy.)
Othello
Timon of Athens
King Lear
Macbeth
 Antony and Cleopatra
 Coriolanus

No comments:

Post a Comment